Samuel L. Neal, Jr. (Loyd Neal), was elected Nueces County Judge in November 2006, taking office January 2nd, 2007. Loyd is the first Republican elected to this office in over 140 years. In November 2010, Judge Neal was re-elected to his second term starting January 2011.
Description of Office
- Presiding officer of the Commissioners Court.
- Represents the county in many administrative functions.
- Serves as budget officer in counties with fewer than 225,000 residents.
- Most have broad judicial duties, such as presiding over misdemeanor criminal and small civil cases, probate matters and appeals from the Justice of the Peace Court.
- Serves as head of emergency management.