Obtaining a Marriage License

  • Both applicants should appear at the Nueces County Clerk's Office.
  • Each Applicant will need to present proper identification such as an original Driver's License or State ID, original Birth Certificate or valid Passport and their Social Security Card. No Photocopies
  • If an applicant is 16-17 years of age, a parent or legal guardian must sign a "Parental Consent to Marriage" form. Parents must present a valid Driver's License. If the natural parents are divorced, the parent with the Right to Consent to Marriage must sign the consent form and bring with them a Certified Copy of the Court Order.
  • If an applicant is divorced, there is a 30 day waiting period after the divorce is final before they can marry another person. If this waiting period is waived in your divorce decree, you will need to present a Certified Copy of the divorce decree. If the applicants are remarrying each other, there is no waiting period.
  • If one of the applicants is unable to appear at the Clerk's office, you must submit an original and notarized "Affidavit of Absent Applicant", along with valid identification for the absent person. No Photocopies
  • A Marriage License is good for 90 days from the date it is issued and there is a 72 hour waiting period from date of issuance.
    • 72 hour waiting period does not apply (is waived) for members of the US Armed Forces and on Active Duty, Workers of the US Department of Defense or under contract with the Department, and for those who have completed a Twogether In Texas Premarital Education course.
  • Effective September 1, 2008 the fee for a Marriage License is $71.00 cash only.
    • Only State fees are waived in accordance with the 80th Legislative Session for those who have completed and provided a certificate of completion for the Twogether In Texas Premarital Education Course.
  • You may purchase your Marriage License in one county and get married anywhere. If your wedding ceremony will be performed in another state or country, you should contact that location to inquire if they will accept a Marriage License from the State of Texas.