You can be exempted from jury duty in certain circumstances. These reasons for exemption do not disqualify you from serving – even though you may qualify for an exemption you can still serve on a jury.
But certain circumstances can impose considerable hardship for some people. If any of the following exemptions apply to you, Page 3 of the jury summons can be completed and mailed back to the Nueces County Court Administrator’s Office.
- Those over seventy (70) years of age.
- Those with legal custody of children under twelve (12) years old when jury services would leave those children without adequate supervision.
- Students in private or public high schools or attending an institution of higher education.
- Those associated with the legislative branch as an officer or an employee of the Senate, House of Representatives, or any department, commission, board, office, or other agency in the legislative branch of state government.
- Those who have appeared as a petit juror in the county during the 24-month period preceding the date he/she is to appear.
- Primary caretakers of those unable to care for themselves.