Sheriff J. C. Hooper was appointed on November 1, 2018 by the Nueces County Commissioners Court.
He worked for the Corpus Christi Police Department for 35 years, retiring from that department as a Lieutenant and the agency’s Public Information Officer. Sheriff Hooper earned an Associate in Arts degree from Del Mar College and a Bachelor of Science Degree from Texas A&M University at Corpus Christi. He is married to Cheryl Hooper and they have two high school age children.
Description of Office
- Serves as a licensed peace officer and is responsible for enforcing the criminal laws of the state.
- Manages and operates the county jail.
- Provides security for the courts.
- Serves warrants and civil papers.
- Regulates bail bondsmen in counties with no bail bond board.