Barbara Canales, was born and raised in Corpus Christi, Texas. She was valedictorian of the W. B. Ray High School graduating class of 1984. She earned a degree in Petroleum Engineering from the University of Texas and a law degree from the University of Houston School of Law. She is the mother of five adult children.
Description of Office
- Presiding officer of the Commissioners Court.
- Represents the county in many administrative functions.
- Serves as budget officer in counties with fewer than 225,000 residents.
- Most have broad judicial duties, such as presiding over misdemeanor criminal and small civil cases, probate matters and appeals from the Justice of the Peace Court.
- Serves as head of emergency management.