The Nueces County Clerk's Office is issuing Marriage Licenses by appointment only. Please call 361-888-0580 for more information.
Obtaining a Marriage License
- Both applicants should appear at the Nueces County Clerk's Office.
- Each Applicant will need to present proper identification such as an original Driver's License or State ID, original Birth Certificate or valid Passport. NO PHOTOCOPIES. Social security card is preferred, but not required
- Effective September 1, 2017, a person under 18 years of age may not marry unless the person has been granted by this state or another state a court order removing
the disabilities of minority of the person for general purposes. In addition, a person under 18 years of age applying for a license must provide to the county clerk a court order granted by this state removing the disabilities of minority of the person for general purposes; or if the person is a nonresident minor, a certified copy of an order removing the disabilities of minority of the person for general purposes filed with this state.
- If an applicant is divorced, there is a 30 day waiting period after the divorce is final before they can marry another person. If this waiting period is waived in your divorce decree, you will need to present a Certified Copy of the divorce decree. If the applicants are remarrying each other, there is no waiting period.
- "If one of the applicants is unable to appear at the Clerk's Office, you must submit an original & notarized Affidavit of Absent Applicant, along with valid identification and Social Security number for the absent person. NO PHOTOCOPIES.
- A Marriage License is good for 90 days from the date it is issued and there is a 72 hour waiting period from date of issuance.
- 72 hour waiting period does not apply (is waived) for members of the US Armed Forces and on Active Duty, Workers of the US Department of Defense or under contract with the Department, and for those who have completed a Twogether In Texas Premarital Education course.
- Effective February 8, 2018 at 3:00 p.m., the fee for a Marriage License is $67.00 cash only.
- Only State fees are waived in accordance with the 80th Legislative Session for those who have completed and provided a certificate of completion for the Twogether In Texas Premarital Education Course.
- You may purchase your Marriage License in one county and get married anywhere. If your wedding ceremony will be performed in another state or country, you should contact that location to inquire if they will accept a Marriage License from the State of Texas.